In this modern era, physical sims are being ignored because of the all-new E-Sim technology.
As we know, a standard sim is just a hardware chip that stores the network information, operator information, and some contacts.
You have to buy it and insert it into the sim slot on your phone.
Now, this is a rather old technology, still in use.
But, some of the devices are now switching over to E-Sim. Now, let’s see precisely what an E-Sim is.
What is an E-Sim?
Am E-Sim, or an Embedded Sim, is a programmable sim card pre-installed onto the device while manufacturing. E-Sim eliminates the process of changing the physical sims when one requires to switch to another operator. Therefore, an E-Sim avoids the requirement for a connector.
An E-Sim improves network connection and reliability. As mentioned above, this is a programmable sim and can be provisioned remotely.
E-Sim in India
E-Sim is a relatively new technology and is just stepping into India. Many people still do not know of the existence of E-Sims.
But, gradually, it is changing, as a range of mobile operators like Airtel, Vodafone, Jio, etc., introduced E-Sims’ concept.
Most of the coming phones will eliminate the physical sim placement slot and provide an E-Sim option.
Now, let’s see the Airtel E-Sim process and how to convert your physical sim into an E-Sim and activate Airtel E-Sim.
Airtel E-Sim supported devices.
Airtel is one of the Telecom operators that is significantly advancing in the field of E-Sim.
Now, some of the phones and devices supporting E-Sim are
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- Google Pixel 3
- Google Pixel 3a
- Pixel 3a XL
These are just some of the devices that introduced E-Sim. But, most of the phones to be released will support E-Sim in the future.
Now, let’s see how to convert your physical Airtel sim to an E-Sim.
Physical Airtel sim to E-Sim conversion
As mentioned above, Apple and Google are a few companies that gave an E-Sim option on their devices. Let’s see how to convert your physical sim to an E-Sim.
- To initiate the process, you need to send an SMS with your email ID. The format should be ‘ eSIM<space>email.’
- The Telecom operator will give you a call confirming the request to convert your physical sim to an E-Sim.
- After you confirm the call, you will receive a final SMS from the same number regarding the QR code sent to the email.
- Now, you need to scan the QR code within a few minutes.
- This will confirm the E-Sim activation process, and while the activation process takes place, your physical sim will still work.