Internet Download Manager is known to be one of the most common download managers out there. It has some great features like download speed acceleration, scheduled downloading, download resume, video grabber, browser integration, and many more. IDM is only usable for Windows, and the software is available for a 30-day free trial, after which you’d have to buy a license that is priced at $24.95. So, if you are looking for apps similar to IDM that is free of cost or that can operate on other systems as well, this article is for you! Here is a list of apps you can use, which is an alternative to IDM.
What is IDM?
It is a tool to boost download speeds by five times, resume, and register downloads. Extensive error recovery and resume capability will restart interrupted downloads due to poor connections, network problems, or unexpected power outages. The direct graphic user interface makes IDM user friendly.IDM has a smart download logic accelerator that emphasizes intelligent dynamic file segmentation and secures multipart downloading technology to quicken all of your downloads. Unlike some of the other download managers and accelerators, IDM segments downloaded files dynamically while the download process and reuses possible connections without extra connect and login stages to attain the best acceleration performance.
JDownloader is a free download manager that holds some of its parts open-sourced. JDownloader has most of the beneficial features that come packed in IDM. For example, you can resume downloads or set bandwidth limitations on your downloads, and even apply themes. JDownloader 2 also offers multilingual assistance like IDM.
- Platform independent
- Runs on Java 1.5 or higher
- 24-hour assistance
- Download many files at once
- Download with various connections
- Automatic extractor
- Theme Support
- Reconnect with JDLiveHeaderScripts
- Web update
- An integrated package manager for extra modules
EagleGet is a download manager available for Windows. It has features similar to IDM, like scheduling downloads, accelerated download speeds, setting speed limits, applying themes, and browser integration. Unlike IDM, it doesn’t require an extra antivirus program and has its own malware checker.
- Accelerate downloads by utilizing multi-threaded technology.
- Download files in IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera with a single click.
- Support MMS, HTTP, FTP, and RTSP protocols.
- Built-in download scheduler for various queues.
- Automatic refresh expired download address.
- Support HTTP and SOCKET proxy.
- Monitor running and completed tasks with TaskMonitor.
- Automatic run virus scan right after download.
- Automatic convert media format
- Comfortable task properties panel.
- Shutdown, hibernate, or sleep computer after performing all transfers.
- Supports multi-language interface.
FDM can give IDM a run for its money. The main feature of this internet download manager is the capability to organize downloads efficiently. You can download large files quickly. Moreover, it lets you resume broken downloads and control file priorities for torrents, which is another plus point from the proficiency aspect.
- BitTorrent support.
- Enhanced audio or video files support
- Download acceleration
- Resume broken downloads
- Smart file management and schedule.
- Improving traffic usage.
- Multi-language support
- 100% safe
It is a fast download manager that can quicken your downloads up to almost ten times the IDM speed. It lets you create unlimited download categories like IDM, and you can call your antivirus program right after a download is finished. FlashGet comes with a unified offline reader. Its browser integration is known to be one of the top contenders to be the principal IDM alternative.
- Optimizes use of system sources
- Immediately scans downloaded files.
- 100% free, no adware, malware, or spyware
- Enhances download speed and stability.
- Supports FTP, HTTP, BitTorrent, eMule, and other torrent protocols.
- Powerful files management feature.
With many features like multilingual support, scheduled downloading, video and MP3 downloading, accelerated downloading up to five times, and themes, it shows similarity to IDM and is free. You can use it for your own use as much as you want. If you’re going to use it for commercial reasons, you can purchase its Pro version that will cost you $9.95. With the pro version, you can get rid of ads and access more features, like FTP explorer, download speed control, site manager, etc.
- User-friendly and customizable
- Download lists support with rich sorting choices
- Original Active Visual Cart technology which allows you to work with IDA without having to open the main program window
- Support for plug-ins
- Multilingual support.
- Dynamic multi-threaded downloads
- Resumes interrupted downloads from where they left off
- Scheduled operation, sleep, or standby after completing the download, PC shutdown
- FTP Explorer
Downloading is one of the most fundamental tasks when you are online. Various tools can enhance this experience by a mile. Now that you know the top 5 apps similar to IDM, you can use the same features as a free tool.